Wednesday 25 February 2015

Evaluation Part 1

"You have been approached by Film 4 to make a new British Social Realist film aimed at British 16-24 year olds. To give Film 4 and idea of how your film will develop they have asked you to produce the first two minutes of the film, providing a clear sense of the graphical, editing and music style your film will use. To protect Film 4's reputation as a leader in British cinema the film must conform to the conventions of Social Realist genre, and meet all audience expectations for this type of film.  Finally, to keep costs low, all visual and audio material used in the film must be entirely original, with thee exception of stock sound effects."






The title of our film is 'Faith', having a short title like this is a typical convention of BSR films as it is short and it foreshadows what the plot of the film is going to be about. Faith foreshadows that a large aspect of the film is going to feature people's religion or race.












In my opening we see some establishing shots which follows a typical convention of BSR films as many use establishing shots in the opening like in Ill manors. After that we see some shots with parallel editing showing the 2 boys doing similar things, connoting that their lives are intertwined in some way. After that we see those 2 boys meet, when Usama walks into the same place that Joe and his groups are friends are and we see a fight between them due to Usama's colour.



The main themes my film explores are racism as we have a Muslim characters and a group of white boys who are racist to this character and become aggressive to him purely because of his race and religion. From the screenshot below we can see that in my research I covered how racism is explored in BSR films. I used it in a slightly different way in my film as it was towards Asian people not black.



Another theme we covered was poverty which we can see from the shots in the opening montage denoting a run down poor area this connotes that the characters in this film are living in poverty.



We can see in my research that I discussed poverty and talked about how I could use it in my film and I stuck to what I said as I did use a run down area for the shots.


Childhood and corruption of youth was another theme of my film as we had young adolescent characters and it was about them and for the white boys it was their hateful attitude towards Muslims connoting that a theme was corruption of youth.
















No comments:

Post a Comment