Monday 10 November 2014

Production Log 4

This week I learnt about Title Devices and I saw how much the opening credits can set up a film like in An Education they used the idea of Blackboards to help establish that this is a film about school and as well as that is set in the past, they also used animation to help establish this.

 I learnt that in opening credits they normally use super imposed graphics to list the most important people in the film first like the producer, production company, director and actors and choose the order that they show the actor's name by the screen time they have.
In most BSR films the titles are not superimposed and An Education is an unconventional opening as it uses superimposed graphics and animation.
A list of the conventioanl order of credits in films goes like this but it is not accurate for every film as sometimes the director credit can appear earlier.
PRODUCTION COMPANY presents 
a NAME LASTNAME production 
a NAME LASTNAME film 
"TITLE" 
Lead Cast 
Supporting Cast 
Casting Director 
Music Composer 
Costume Designer 
Associate Producers 
Editor(s) 
Production Designer 
Director of Photography 
Executive Producer 
Producer 
Writer(s) 
Director 

This week I also learnt about some of the roles in films which i did not know before like
Production Company: They are responsible for the funding of the film and provide the equipment necessary needed.
Producer: They are representatives of the production company are organised the budget among other things.

This will impact my production as I know which order to put the credits in I also discovered that in BSR films some roles which are in normal films are missing like make up as they want it to be realistic as possible so I will purposely not include some role in my opening credits. Another convention of BSR credits I was unaware of that (word for it being on screen with the footage) and that they show the logos of the production companies first so this will change my production as I will make sure to include those things.From a lesson a few weeks back I learnt that I need to have the credits on for long enough so that the audience can read it as some of the past students work did not have it on for long enough. The text I will use will be simple  and big enough for the audience to read but not so much that it distracts the audience from the footage which will be playing alongside it.


The methods I will use in the opening credits is to follow the traditional style of BSR films which is ; to put the institutional logos at the start and to put the credits so have the credits alongside the footage, to keep the text simple and easy to read and I will follow the conventional order of credits but may remove some credits completely and change the order if it is not needed for BSR films, for instance I will not have the supporting cast in the opening credits and would put them in the closing credits instead if this was a full film.







No comments:

Post a Comment